Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day one with Aquaponics

The title is wrong I suppose. This isn't really day one for me in aquaponics, it's more like day 6. Today is the first day of the blog. I have no real experience with aquaponics so far. I've done a lot of reading and I'm almost done building my first system.

 Why would anyone read someone's blog about aquaponics if they're not an expert? Well, my plan is to blog about my experiences as I learn about this exciting subject. It seems I can't get enough off the web to satisfy my appetite for information. As far as I can tell, there isn't near enough information about aquaponics on the web. I've been able to piece together a ton of stuff but it took many hours of reading. What I hope to do here is to consolidate all the information I've learned, while reading, with my hands on experiences  as I go.

I've already made enough mistakes just building my first system to qualify about 4 posts, and they are coming soon. Hopefully, if any first timers read this blog, I may save a few people from making the same mistakes that I have made. I'll also post all my success also. Those are the ones I'm most excited about.

A little about me. I've spent the bulk of the last 18 years in Arizona as a commercial electrician. What I know all about is construction. I am now in Texas about an hour south of Dallas. I live on a 16 acre lot and I'm trying my hand at farming. I'm currently working on building an organic farm. I plan on having it certified within 3 years time. I'm learning the whole process from scratch. One of the things I'm working on, obviously, is aquaponics.

The reason I'm building this blog specifically about aquaponics and not all the other work I'm doing is because there is a TON of information for the organic farmer out there. Like I've already said, there is limited information about aquaponics. Some of it is conflicting also. Hopefully, as I learn I can relay that knowledge and experience. I would love to hear from people as I post that have more experience on this subject(and any experience at this point is more than me). Ok, time to watch football. Go Dolphins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment