Friday, October 22, 2010

Starting over

Well the last of my minnows expired. The only good I got out of them little suckers was they were a great snack for my chickens. I posted a question on DIY Aquaponics, a good forum for people who have AP systems. The question was about how to remove chlorine from my water safely. The answer was Vitamin C. It turns out, from what I understand, Vitamin C will remove the chlorine in the water. This is only necessary if the water company uses chloramine.  The way to get Vitamin C into the water is use sodium ascorbate.  It's some sort of supplement. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see what happens to my chlorine. If it works, I'll get more minnows and start the ball rolling.

I've also decided to use a tarp to cover my open tank. It'll create shade to keep the water cooler and also to hinder algae from growing. I don't have a lot of time left. My spinach that I sowed will need to be transplanted in a couple of weeks. Hopefully that will be enough time to finish cycling the system.

I promised to have pictures a few days ago. Obviously that didn't happen. I'll definitely get some this weekend. Between work, this new hobby, and baseball playoffs I can barely find time to eat and sleep. Speaking of baseball playoffs, GO RANGERS!!!

1 comment: